Saturday, September 27, 2014

Dental Emergency - Part 1

Several weeks ago I had what you might call a dental emergency.  This also happened to coincide with Little Lady's YMCA swim lessons.  

Some background - back in high school like 5 years ago I, like every other high-schooler, had braces.  I fortunately only had them on for about a year, in which time my teeth were straightened, and the gap in my front teeth closed.  Ever since I have been *focused* on keeping my teeth straight.  ENTER my removable top retainer - you know the one.  Someone in middle or high school was always going through the trash for this type of retainer, thrown away mistakenly when taken out to eat.  I wore this retainer every night for years.  YEARS.  The Hubby loves it.  You don't even have to ask.  

So in addition to a sexy top removable retainer, I have a fixed bottom retainer.  I don't have any personal pictures of this beauty, but below is a google image of "fixed retainer."  


It basically is a bar that stretches from one tooth to the other, behind, like hidden braces.  Lots of people have them and they helped keep my teeth straight for 11 years...until I went to floss one night a couple weeks ago and the bar broke off on one side.  I was stupefied as to what just happened and as to what I should do about this floating piece of metal in my mouth, attached only on one side on my teeth.  I decided the logical thing to do was ask The Hubby to take his pliers and cut off the remaining bar. Genius right??? 

I should mention - 
1. I trust my husband with my life.  
2. This is not the first time pliers have come near my face. 

In college, while studying abroad in Spain, I decided to get my nose pierced.  Genius right?? It was cute, I liked it, but before I got married about a year later, I decided I did not want a tiny stud nose ring in life-long pictures, so my dear mother-in-law got out her handy pliers and took it out for me!  

Back to a couple weeks ago.  The Hubby got his pliers and CUT the remaining wire.  I didn't stop to think that his pliers are not the smallest instrument, and that what he left behind would slice my mouth apart.  After wielding the pliers, I was left with a VERY sharp tiny leftover piece slicing my mouth apart.  

The next morning I made an emergency call to my dentist to have them remove the remaining retainer and put in a new one.  

It would be fine and dandy if the story ended there but it would not be my life if it did.  Stayed tuned for part 2 that would one week later find me sitting between a child on my left and a child on my right, getting fitted for a new retainer...says the village idiot  



No comments:

Post a Comment