Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Eco Nuts

I do a lot of laundry.  

Before The Hubby and I moved into the house we live in now, we lived in a tiny one-bedroom apartment and the only washer and dryer was located in a central room in the building...2 floors below us.  Doing laundry was one of my least favorite things.  It also cost about $45.00 $4.00 to do one load of laundry, so The Hubby and I would go, give-or-take, about 2 months in between washing.  We were also those people who took our laundry with us whenever we would visit family.  While visiting we would do 8-10 loads of laundry, and take home enough clean clothes to last another 2 months.  Crazy, I know.  I swore when we moved into our own house, I still wouldn't like doing laundry and we would still go months between loads.

Fast forward 2 years and the tides have turned regarding my relationship with laundry.  I now love to do it.  Oh how things have changed.  

It is especially good that I like doing laundry now because we cloth diaper with Little Lady, which involves throwing in a load of dirty diapers every other day.  

While out shopping at MOM's Organic Market the other day (I don't normally shop at MOM's, but it is a great place to get organic fruit and produce, as well as local meats, and a great selection of beauty and skincare products), I came across Eco Nuts in the "home" section.  


After pausing to read the box, I learned that Eco Nuts are "dried berry shells from the Sapindus mukorossi tree in Asia."  You simply place 4-5 Eco Nuts in the wash bag provided and toss in the washer.  They can be reused until they start to disintegrate (about 10 times).   


Normally I use Legacy of Clean Laundry Detergent by Amway which The Hubby and I buy through our Amway Business, but I thought I would give Eco Nuts a try for fun!  We LOVE our Legacy of Clean detergent, but how different would it be to wash our clothes with dried berry shells?! I had to try it.

I bought the trial size which came with 5 nuts and the wash bag, reusable up to 10 loads.  The cost was $4.00.  I tossed it in my cart and off we went.  

I returned home and texted a friend to tell her about my discovery.  I also included the price and she exclaims that I spent A LOT on Eco Nuts.  $4.00?  A lot?  I guess.  I mean, sometimes my Starbucks drink is more than that, and this is for nuts, ECO NUTS, for up to 10 LOADs of laundry.  Hm, I think.  Well, how much is that per load then?...20 minutes seconds later I realize that is more than 40 cents A LOAD.  That is almost as much as the $45.00 $4.00 we were spending at our old apartment.  Hm, I think.  This Eco Nut fetish probably can't become a habit, considering our faithful Legacy of Clean detergent runs about $0.25 cents a load.

All in all, I tried the Eco Nuts and they work great.  The clothes and sheets I have washed smell great and very fresh.  I can't imagine using Eco Nuts on a regular basis, but what a fun product to try! - says the village idiot.  


No comments:

Post a Comment