Thursday, September 5, 2013

Airplane Essentials for Baby


Our recent trip to California was my first time traveling on a plane with Little Lady.  She did great, but there were definitely items that made our travel, and overall vacation easier.  I have outlined below my top 5 items for traveling on a plane with a baby.

***Please keep in mind that at the time of our trip, Little Lady was 10 ½ months old, so these items apply to a baby around that age.  I am sure my essentials list would be very different if traveling with a newborn or a toddler***

#1 Ergo – INDISPENSABLE!  If you are traveling and do not own an Ergo, buy one or borrow one!  We bought ours used on Craigslist and it is worth its weight in gold.  I pushed Little Lady through the airport in our stroller, but the moment we got on the plane, I secured the waist buckle of the Ergo, and then just sat Little Lady in my lap.  When she got tired, I simply pulled up the Ergo and she fell right asleep. So Easy!

Ergo
#2 Pacifier – Little Lady loves her pacifier.  It is really the only thing she needs to fall asleep, so of course, this was must have for us.  It also helped with the pressure during the ascent and descent.  I would highly suggest attaching the pacifier to a Booginhead pacifier strap, or any type of strap that can be secured to the pacifier, and the other end secured to the baby.  Anything to make life easier is such a blessing!

Booginhead Pacifier Clip 

#3 Backpack – I have a Kate Spade Diaper Bag that I absolutely adore, but unfortunately it got the boot in order for me to carry a really classy backpack through the airport.  I was able to throw the backpack over my shoulder, as well as keep my items separate in all the different pockets so I could find things quickly when needed.

Jansport backpack 

#4 Entertainment Food – I fondly call this category “entertainment food.”  By that, I mean it is not food I normally would give Little Lady.  I have nothing against this food, but Little Lady usually just eats what I eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and I don’t find myself eating puréed baby food out of a pouch often.  They were, however, extremely valuable on the plane and in the airport. I was worried that I would be stopped and strip-searched and taken into a windowless room for trying to smuggle baby food through security, but they did not delay me at all!  What a relief.   I also made the last minute decision before boarding the plane, to buy a plain bagel for Little Lady.  This was a GREAT decision.  She was able to chew/gnaw/eat the bagel, and it provided a good 45 minutes of entertainment.  This was VITAL on a 5 hour flight. 

Earth's Best puree pouches

#5 Stroller – Kind of obvious, but indispensable none-the-less.   Our City Mini GT is very easy to maneuver in tight spaces, and easy to break down.  Literally with one pull, the stroller folds in half and is completely manageable with one hand.  And yes, for those wondering, security will make you fold it down and put it through the conveyer belt.

City Mini GT Stroller

***note to those traveling with a stroller that has cute little attachments like cup holders, or toys - they will get ripped off when you stow your stroller during the flight!  Be forewarned! Remove everything that is not secured!! I made a point to remove everything but Little Lady’s stuffed owl rattle, and sadly, it did not return with the stroller on our first flight.  It was my mistake and I learned the next time around***  

I hope you find this brief list helpful if you ever find yourself in an airport with a baby.  If anyone has any other flight "essentials" please let me know, as I am always looking to improve traveling with the Little Lady! - says the village idiot 

No comments:

Post a Comment