Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Trim


I didn’t know that grass doesn’t grow in the summer.

Let me know re-phrase – I didn’t know grass doesn’t grow well in the summer.

Let me give you some background to this post.  I love our house, BUT when we bought it, it needed a lot of work - mostly cosmetic, but still a lot of work.  For the first few months before Little Lady arrived, we The Hubby focused most of our his efforts on the inside of the house (painting, changing outlets, renovating a bathroom, etc).  Our backyard took a backseat to the transformation.   We did have several “work days” in which my parents and grandparents, and The Hubby’s parents joined us to rip out A TON of overgrown plants and bushes.  One of the prior owners of our house was a bit of a…crazy plant lady.  She planted over 100 species of plants in the yard.  100!! Yes, you read that correctly.  And our yard isn’t even that big!  We have learned that some of these species are even outlawed in the State of Maryland or something.  So, they had to go! Not everything, but most things.  I try to help The Hubby when I can, and now that the Little Lady takes predictable naps during the day, I have been able to get outside for several hours a week to weed and kill take care of my garden. 

A few weeks ago, I decided to take matters into my own hands regarding an unsightly hydrangea bush in our front yard.  It offended me.  It was overgrown and floppy and I wanted it gone.  I thought I would give it a little trim, and then The Hubby would plant some grass seed and voila! – A couple weeks later we would have grass where the plant had been! 

Oops.

It was only after I trimmed the offending plant, that The Hubby informed me that summer is too hot to grow grass and we had to wait until the fall.

What?!? Is this news to anyone else?? I mean, it makes sense, I guess. 

This is our yard before and after The Trim


Upon further review of the hydrangea after The Trim, I realized it had grown even more out-of-control than I anticipated and had spread over a big section of our yard.  Our goal this upcoming weekend is to finish it off trimming, and then plant some grass seed (now that it is fall and all).  

If you are trying to grow grass, you may want to consider waiting until the fall when grass is more likely to grow - says the village idiot 










No comments:

Post a Comment