Monday, January 27, 2014

What to read, What to read


I love to read.  I love to read all types of books but memoirs are my favorites.   I recently finished a book that I really enjoyed – The Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian.



In this book, Omartian breaks down why we need to pray for our children, how to pray for them, and what specifically we can pray for. 

I wouldn’t consider myself a prayer warrior as some people are described.  I certainly believe in the power of prayer, but to be completely transparent, I don’t always turn to the Lord as my first response to the happenings of life.  After being a mom to Little Lady for about 15 months now (+9 months if you consider when she was cooking inside), I find myself turning to the Lord much more often because I am so blatantly aware how everything is out of my control.  There are so many things I hope and pray for Little Lady, and this book helped me learn why praying for your child is so important, at any age, and what specifically we can ask God for – everything from physical protection from harm, to attracting Godly friends, and identifying her God-given gifts and talents.

Omartian also explained that every summer when her family takes a vacation to the beach, she spends some time each morning alone with the Lord, creating a Master Prayer List for each of her children that she then uses for the next year.  Some prayers never change from year to year, but some are brought to the forefront of her prayer list for a particular year, depending on what her children are going through.  I felt very challenged by this and as I made my way through the pages of the book, I created my own Master Prayer List for Little Lady.  I am in the process of typing it up, printing it, laminating (because who doesn’t LOVE to laminate), and putting it somewhere that I can see everyday.

I can’t wait to see what the Lord has in store for Little Lady, and I am so thankful I am blessed to be her mom and pray for her everyday – says the village idiot.  

1 comment: